CALL FOR PAPERS for the WORKSHOP TRANSREGIONAL REMEMBRANCES: ARTISTIC MEMORY WORK AFTER DICTATORSHIPS
DATE: 21 November 2019
VENUE: Department of Political Science, University of Bucharest
This workshop aims to analyze transregional artistic memory practices in the case of societies that have experienced dictatorial regimes. Its particular focus lies within comparisons between South America (especially the Southern Cone – Chile, Argentina, Uruguay, Paraguay and Brazil) and Eastern Europe (including ex-Yugoslavia). We are looking for research that operates at the intersection between the fields of Transitional Justice, Art Theory and Cultural Memory and that takes a comparative approach to the circulation of artistic templates, intervention tools and practices.
Which pathos formulae (Aby Warburg)/ cultural schemas/narrative templates do we see circulating between different regions? How are similar artistic genres and aesthetic approaches mobilized and locally inflected in differente regions? How is their circulation shaped by national and transnational infrastructures and how do they compare in terms of production and reception? Finally, we are particularly interested in methodological opportunities, limitations, and critiques of the transregional approach.
We welcome papers that focus on but need not be limited to one or several of the following:
• the role of artistic practices in processes of transitional justice (especially in South America and Eastern Europe)
• artistic practices that act as stand-ins or alternatives of transitional justice; that critique the limits of transitional justice or are, on the contrary, supported by institutions and bodies in the field of transitional justice
• cinematographic, performative, museal, visual memory practices
• modes, media, genres of remembrance
• representations of memory and art interventions • artistic developments during and after dictatorship: continuations, ruptures, legacies of protest art
• art and social movements during and after dictatorship • networks and exchanges in transregional socio-cultural fields • systems of artistic production and reception across regions
• methodological challenges and opportunities
• methodological reflections on area studies versus transregional studies
This workshop is organized by the Interdisciplinary research center on Politics, Arts, Memory and Society PolArt) and is a part of the project TRANSREGIONAL ARTISTIC MEMORY
Those interested should send us a short abstract (300 words) of their intended presentation, together with a short CV.
DEADLINE FOR SUBMITTING ABSTRACTS: 1 September 2019.
CONTACT: Caterina Preda (Ph.D, Assistant Professor, Department of Political Science, University of Bucharest), email@example.com